Sunday, June 21, 2015

Touring in Buffalo

Today was a day to be lazy. We were tourists for the better part of the day. The first stop was at the Herschell Carrousel Factory Museum. We did the tour and saw the factory where they carved the animals in the early 1900s, mostly horses, for the carousels. The wood carvers and painters were truly masters of their work. We also rode on a carousel. From there, we grabbed a quick lunch at the Central Park Grill, established in 1929. Ray & I had a Reuben that was s-o-o-o good. After that, we toured Frank Lloyd Wright's Martin House Complex. I was amazed at the detail to the smallest features. The house was built in 1905. I couldn't believe how modern it looked, especially in a neighborhood of two story Victorian style houses. And how the theme was carried through the grounds. No wonder Frank Lloyd Wright is considered such a great architect! Teri has a goal to at put her feet in all of the Great Lakes and tonight was the night for Lake Erie. It was a bit of a challenge but I did it. We drove through Buffalo through a lot of pretty parts of town. I can't believe all of the Catholic influence. There are Catholic hospitals, schools, & churches all over the town. When we arrived at Lake Erie, there was a beer festival going on. I went to the dock & it was too high for me to touch the water. I asked several people where to go & they directed me to a lower dock. It was still too high but there was a boat tied up to the dock with people aboard & they were partying. I knew I could sit at the back part of the boat & touch the water. I asked if I could come aboard & they were happy to allow me to get in their boat. In conversation, we found out that one of the guys on the boat's Dad has a Model A. He was impressed that we drove ours so much. He said that his Dad hasn't driven his in 5 years. When he found out that there was an International Meet at Niagara Falls, Canada, he was going to bring his Dad there for Father's Day. Tomorrow, we will be in Niagara Falls Canada and I should be able to in my feet into Lake Ontario while we are there which will be the fifth & final Great Lake so one more thing on my bucket list will be checked off.

No comments:

Post a Comment